View Single Post
Old 03-03-2009, 12:32 PM   #7
LauraLove
Senior Yorkie Talker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gracie2006 View Post
I prefer to put in a button hole and put the harness on first, then the garment. That way none of the clothing gets hidden or bunched up underneath the harness. But when I do use a D-Ring, here is how I do it.

I use a piece of bias tape or matching fabric or ribbon. I cut it to a length of about 2" plus enough to turn under on each end. If using fabric, fold in half, sew the seam and then turn it right side out so there are no raw edges. If that is too difficult, press under the raw ends then fold the fabric in half and sew along the edge so you have a double thick piece of fabric with the raw edges concealed. I use a zipper foot or a foot that will get me really close to the D-Ring. Attach the "under end" to the vest by folding it under, then sewing all the way across, then turn and go all the way back. Think of the way the foil is folded on the end of a stick of gum. That raw end of the folded piece should be against the fabric, with the raw edge facing the neckline of the garment. After that is secure, thread the strip of tape/fabric through the D ring, fold under the end and then sew that on top of the part of the tape/fabric that you sewed before. Sew back and forth several times to make sure it is secure. It will now look like a closed loop of fabric, sewn down at one end. If the fabric frays easily, use some Fray Check and let it dry before sewing. Practice on a scrap fabric until you get the hang of it. If the garment fabric is thin, use a piece of interfacing or something on the wrong side where you will be sewing to provide some extra strength, otherwise when your baby pulls he/she could pull the D-ring attachment right off of the garment. I find attaching D-rings to sweaters or stretchy knits like a T-shirt does not work so well.
wow thanks for this! yeah i agree that it wont work to well on stretchy material like the vest i just made, so ill just make the button hole. However this is good info to have for when i make another vest out of a sturdier material! thanks!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!