Thread: Lepto Shot
View Single Post
Old 03-03-2009, 10:58 AM   #4
nacke
Donating Senior Yorkie Talker

Quote:
Originally Posted by livingdustmops View Post
I would not...lepto can kill a Yorkie...

Lepto is, for a variety of reasons, a vaccine where the risk vs benefit analysis changes tremendously from case to case.

First, lepto vaccine causes more adverse reactions than any other canine vaccine. Leptospirosis

Lepto vaccines, however, are not recommended unless there is a disease problem in the area. The vaccines help lessen the severity of the disease but do not prevent it (3) and may not be effective for more than six months. Furthermore, puppies and small dogs can have adverse reactions to the vaccines. Therefore, many veterinarians do not recommend inoculation against leptospirosis. However, if a lepto outbreak occurs and veterinarians do recommend vaccination, dogs should be inoculated against all four strains of the disease unless the particular strain is identified. Dog Owner's guide; Dog Diseases

VACCINATIONS NOT RECOMMENDED

Multiple components in vaccines compete with each other for the immune system and result in lesser immunity for each individual disease as well as increasing the risk of a reaction. "Canine Corona Virus is only a disease of puppies. It is rare, self limiting (dogs get well in 3 days without treatment). Cornell & TexaA&M have only diagnosed one case each in the last 7 years. Corona virus does not cause disease in adult dogs. "Leptospirosis vaccine is a common cause of adverse reactions in dogs. Most of the clinical cases of lepto reported in dogs in the US are caused by serovaars (or types) grippotyphosa and bratsilvia. The vaccines contain different serovaars eanicola and ictohemorrhagica. Cross protection is not provided and protection is short lived. Lepto vaccine is immuno-supressive to puppies less than 16 weeks. The Vaccine Controversy

Thanks! I thought i had read something to this nature So it is not a required vaccine and i am not a bad mommy for not taking her back? Im currently looking for another vet close to home, since mine didnt seem to know much about yorkies...
She weighed in at 2.7 lbs @ 16 weeks, and the vet said she shouldnt get much bigger than 11lbs That sent off red flags in my head
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!