View Single Post
Old 10-07-2005, 12:34 PM   #1
Calleasto
Senior Yorkie Talker

Unlove Take seizure puppies to vet immediately!

I posted a topic not to long ago on my puppy Chewie and his battles with hypoglycemia. Well, last night at 1:30 a.m. Chewie had four seizures, one right after the other. I rushed him to the emergency vet clinic ($500 later), but they told me they couldn't find the source and released him to me, telling me I should take him to his regular vet in the morning. Well, within 30 minutes of me taking him home, my precious Chewie passed away. He started having one last siezure, barking and whining and then blood started coming from his nose. I tried to perform CPR on him on the way back to the emergency clinic, but it was too late, he was already gone. They still had no answers for me when I took him in. They did all the blood tests, ruled out it being a liver problem and his blood sugar level was completely normal. My regular vet called me and told me that she did not have an answer for the cause of seizures, but she believed his brain swelled to much inbetween all the seizures and there was nothing that could be done. I am so sick over this.

My reason for posting this is that I have seen a lot of you post about how your puppy is having seizures, but you are waiting until the next morning to take them to the vet. This could be the difference between life and death for you baby. I believe I waited too long taking him to the emergency clinic. However, they were also incompetent by letting me take him home when he was more sick upon being released than he was when I brought him in. The only consolidation to all of this is that atleast he died in my husband's arms instead of on a cold metal table surrounded by the uncaring staff of that clinic.

The vet made me believe that my puppy's seizures were just low blood sugar, so everytime he had one, I'd load him up on nutrical or Karo syrup. Well, they were wrong this time about his problem and that's why he is no longer with us. My regular vet wants to do an autopsy on my pup because she believes that the emergency clinic was responsible for not taking the correct procedures in saving his life. They were more concerned about how much money I could drop at the time.

Please, please please don't wait to take your puppy if he isn't responding to sugar during a seizure, or has more than one in a 24hr period. Learn from the heartbreak of my experience. Even the smallest hesitation can mean disaster. I have so much pain in my heart for my Chewie right now, but at least I know he isn't suffering anymore.

R.I.P. Chewie at Rainbow Bridge 7/14/2005-10/7/2005
Calleasto is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!