View Single Post
Old 02-27-2009, 06:01 PM   #7
luckylady
Living My Yorkie Dream
Donating Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by luckylady View Post
IF she is having a false pregnancy, than I guess from what I've read that yes it is normal to last this long. I believe they last about as long as a real pregnancy lasts and the female will even adopt a stuffed animal near the end as one of her pups. Having said that, it may also be that Lilly's fullness is due to maturity. The pictures look alot like Halle did weeks after her first cycle. When Halle had her first heat last November, I can remember for quite a while after it was officially over, wondering just like you about pregnancy (knowing it couldn't be), and/or false pregnancy. What I believe now, is that once they have their first heat, their teats & vulva never go back to the "nothing" size that they were. Don't laugh to hard at me, but I remember before Halle's first heat I had wondered how puppies would ever fit through her birth canal. Now, since "becoming a woman", though no longer swollen, her vulva is not the itty bitty thing it was before.
Quote:
Originally Posted by brewskys mom View Post
I am not sure if there was a tie. They sleep in the same kennel because that is the only way they will not whine all night but their kennel is right next to our bed so if they did tie it wasn't during the night. I work full time and my boyfriend does also so during the day or if we are gone at night/weekends they are in there together, so it is possible there was. I am so nervous because she is so small and young. I just don't want her health to be in question. I thought with him being away from her for almost a month I was doing the right thing and she wouldn't get pregnant yet. Thanks for your advice though I appreciate any help I can get.
Hi brewskys mom, welcome to YT. IF there was no tie, see my bold print above. The females teats & vulva will not go completely back to the tiny size they were before their first heat cycle.
You did well in sending the male to another house while she was in heat. I guess to make a better guess at the possiblity of pregnancy, we'd need to know when her heat started & when/how long you kept the male away. Counting the first day of bleeding as day one, hopefully the male was gone during days 9 through 17 for sure......longer to be even safer. I highly suggest that from now on when you don't want puppies, that during her heat cycle (21 days) you do not put them in the kennel together. I also have my stud in the house, and there were quite a few sleep deprived nights while Halle was in her first heat because they had to be separated. That's just part of being a breeder.
Keep us posted on your what you find out. We are here to help, whatever the outcome.
luckylady is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!