View Single Post
Old 02-26-2009, 10:25 PM   #3
Woogie Man
Donating Member

First off, congratulations on the new babies! And Lillie's belly pic is adorable. I've never had a Mom be in any way aggressive to me. Since you really didn't describe the environment Lillie is in, it's hard to say what, if anything, is wrong with Lillie. She may be acting perfectly normal for a new Yorkie mom. One thing that struck me is that you post that Lillie has bitten you and several other people trying to help. I can tell you that, first off, several people other than you shouldn't be around her and her pups at this time. It's only natural for her to be very protective. Also, she and her pups need to be in a room that is away from the noise and traffic of the house. If she isn't, this would increase her anxiety level. Even if the other people are members of your family that Lillie knows well, she probably only wants the one person she trusts most around. She feels not only protective but vulnerable at this time and needs to feel comfortable and safe with her new babies. Maybe you could try just hanging out with her, petting her and telling her what pretty babies she has. She should calm down for you. You can then pet the pups a little while they're nursing. If she tenses, just go back to petting her and speaking to her in soft tones. She may not be trusting at first but if others don't come in she'll soon realize it's only going to be you when you come in and she won't get so riled up. If all the pups are doing well and don't need your intervention, just limit yourself to checking on the pups without handling them too much for now. I think it may take a day or two of tip-toeing around Lillie but that she'll be just fine. As for the herbal thing, I wouldn't use it myself. Whatever you give her, the pups get. Their organs aren't fully developed yet and some herbs could have a bad effect so I wouldn't take the chance.
Woogie Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!