View Single Post
Old 02-26-2009, 07:05 PM   #5
LilMissy
Donating YT 1000 Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cinnamonmon View Post
I have a 3 yr old Yorkie, a 10 yr old Maltese, and a 7 yr old yorkie poodle mix. I am ashamed to say I never heard about brushing my dogs teeth till I got on Yorkie talk. I also never knew how these particular breeds were even more suseptible to rotting teeth. I had the oldest dogs teeth cleaned about a year ago and it helped but they are bad again...I cant imagine how bad they will get as they get older. So, is it too late now...is there anything I can do that will help the two oldest dogs? Would it be useless to start brushing their teeth now? I know its not too late and would like to start on my Yorkie. Would you recommend getting her teeth cleaned first and then beginning the brushing? How often do I need to brush? I can tell you with 3 of them, a full time job and an 18 yr old daughter at home...I wont get to it everyday. Would every other day be okay or worthless? Thanks for your help
Every other day would be great. If you find you are having troubles keeping up with that, there is an "Oral Cleansing Gel" that you can purchase from the vet. You just rub a drop off it on their gums. I definitely don't think it's too late to start brushing now. I would get the dental done when you can too. If you start brushing now, it will save you money in the long run. Our pug dog had to have ALOT of teeth removed during her dental last year (age 6), and she had to be on antibiotics. The bill was $1,300. It all could have been avoided by cleaninging her teeth. I've read that it's most important to focus on the outside of the teeth. Any brushing that you can manage to do will be beneficial though.

And I hear ya on having alot of teeth to brush. I have to do mine and my 3 kids twice a day, then 2 dogs once per day.
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!