View Single Post
Old 02-26-2009, 08:48 AM   #1
lilstar63100
Donating YT 500 Club Member

Default What would YOU do?

so the people that moved in next to me a few weeks ago have a Mastiff. its prettty Huge, and this mastiff isnt the friendliest thing around. he barks and growls and lunges on his leash. But, he is well trained in the fact that he will listen to his owners and come when hes called...

so a few weeks ago... i was walking past my neighbors apartment with shasta when the mastiff bolts out of their open front door growling and barking... i immediately pick shasta up (although she thought she was going to protect me... lol) and the guy was standing right there and called his dog back and he went back in side. no harm.. the dog never really got past their patio... just scared me a little. it happened again last week. They had it out on a leash in the grass area another time and the woman owner was holding the leash, the dog charged and dragged the woman behind him , but the man was able to stop his soon enough. again, as long as they keep their dog under control, no harm, i know what its like to have an aggressiive dog....
Well... last night... i got home from school and took shasta out on her leash to go potty.... 2 seconds after i stepped out of our gate on my patio i was walking the OPPOSITE direction of my neighbors house... and i hear a very loud barking... i turn around and see the mastiff charging toward me... he stops about 50 feet away and has his hair up and barking... shastas already in my arms by this time barking her head off. i just stood there with my feet planted knowing that as soon as i turned my back the dog would come closer. he charged again and came within 10 feet of me (owner still no where to be found) and stopped again still barking with his hair up and growling. i stood there for a few more seconds before the dogs owner finally came out and called him a few time till he finally came back to him. the owner says "sorry" i just shook my head and walked away with shasta....

I now know that its not that the dog gets out the door past them... its that they leave their door wide open so the dog can go in and out as it pleases. the dog and i were standing out there for at least 45 seconds before the owner even came out.. meaning he hadnt even noticed his dog leaving the apartment!

there is a leash law in CA and im pretty sure it still applies when your in an apartment complex....

Also, the people above me have a rottweiler... well what theyve resorted to doing is tieing their dog out on their patio when theyre not home. they have just enough leash so that he can get about 1/4 of the way down their stairs... just enough to charge down and freak out anyone who walks in front of our apartments. and also just enough that he can stare down on our patio and bark at our dogs if we take them out. on top of the fact, if he were to slip and fall, hed end up hanging himself down the stairs....

So..... at this point... taking the dogs out is a scarey process... is the dog above gonna break through his collar? do the neighbors have their door open?

the most frustrating part is that the apartment complex lease doesnt allow rottweilers or mastiffs if i remember reading right.....
i have nothing against either BREED of dog.. in fact... they are some of the smartest dogs there are... but.. the owners.. aparently not as smart...
so now im torn as to what to do... i know i should go talk to the manager and explain whats been going on, but at the same time...
1. i dont want to be on bad terms with my neighbors
2. im afraid if they make them get rid of the dogs theyll end up taking them to the pound....
3. i currently have 3 days when im only spose to have 2. (although theyre not there all the time)

Thank you for listening to my extremely long rant

Mommy to 3 Yorkshire Terrors Shasta, Sherman and Little Man
lilstar63100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!