View Single Post
Old 02-26-2009, 08:11 AM   #10
WalnutHill
♥ Catherine My Love ♥
Donating Member

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nancy1999 View Post
The link you gave doesn't work, but the point you make that the license isn't required if they sell the dogs to private individuals is an important one. If they are not selling to individuals that means they are selling to places like pet stores or brokers, and this is something I believe is wrong.

Your point seems to be that some puppy mills are better than others, and at least some abide by minimum standards, and I agree with that, I still would not recommend anyone buying a dog from a USDA breeder. I think when purchasing a pet you should be looking for someone who has extremely high standards, not someone who just passes minimum standards.
Here is the link to the page: USDA - APHIS - Animal Welfare - Animal Care click on Sec. 2133 Licensing of dealers and exhibitors

Here is the direct link again: http://www.aphis.usda.gov/animal_wel.../54USC2133.txt

Yes, I see that now. : )

But, we are USDA licensed and inspected (though, I now know that we have no reason to be since we are exempt). My dad started breeding 15 years ago and basically studied under a breeder lady from our church (she breeds Chihuahua, and she has gone to our church since she was a little girl - my dad is the preacher now, and so they are very close friends). Anyway, she told him everything he needed to do from how to set up the kennel (with about 5 times the space the USDA requires, inside and outside runs, automatic waterers, a strict veterinary tooth cleaning schedule, grooming schedule, medication schedule, etc).

Of course, my dad likes to do everything by the book and wants to be in total compliance with all state, local and federal laws. : ) But, I guess next year we won't need to renew our license - though that would suck for our USDA inspector. She loves coming out to our house because she doesn't ever have to write anything down. : ) Haha, she says that she has a very large area in which she inspects, and there are a LOT of kennels... she has also mentioned that my dad is the only person who is always in total compliance with all regulations. Which, as I mentioned earlier, the standards are pretty minimal, so if you run a good kennel, you don't have to worry at all about passing inspection. haha : )

Last edited by WalnutHill; 02-26-2009 at 08:14 AM. Reason: forgot to add link
WalnutHill is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!