View Single Post
Old 02-25-2009, 04:52 PM   #1
jacs0517
Donating Senior Yorkie Talker

Default Question: Crate Training for Potty

Okay, one would think I've never owned a Yorkie with all the questions I keep asking.

Okay regarding Carson, my one year old, who we got on Feb 14th (11 days ago), he was never potty trained - at the breeder he could just go anywhere as they had a room specific to them. Oh yeah he got neutered yesterday.

Okay so we've made a 3' by 5' pen for him, he is only out of the pen if we are holding him or playing with him on the couch or bed - never ever on the floor outside of his pen. Okay, the little pain-in-my-%#* is peeing on everything - including his paper, the rug (which is there for him to play on), his bed, his toys, the side of the pen. When we see him go on the pad we praise him, take him out, give him a liver treat - all the things we are supposed to do. When we see that he has gone somewhere else we pick him up, look into his eyes and say 'no', then ignore him for 20 minutes. However, this is not working, I almost think he peed on the paper more when we first got him - now it's about 35% pee pad & 65% anywhere else.

So now I am considering crate training, which I believe is leaving him in the crate and letting him out every few hours to see if he has to go potty. If he does, praise, play, treat. If not, then he goes back into the crate. However, if he does go and we let him out of the pen to play do we put him back in the crate when we are finished playing. Or do we put him back in the pen and wait to see if he goes on the paper next - if not then put him back in the crate.

Thank you guys!
jacs0517 is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!