View Single Post
Old 02-24-2009, 10:14 AM   #3
lucirbc
YT Addict

I jsut got a yorkie a few weeks ago and i have a medium (40lbs.) dog and a large (aprox 90lbs.) dog at home. I really didn't do anything special. I have socialized my big dogs since i got them at 8 weeks by taking them to the park, beach, friend's houses, etc, so they are used to meeting new people and dogs. I also have friends' dogs at my house on occasion. When i brought her home i left her in the carrier and let everyone sniff for a few minutes. Then i let her out and everyone checked one another out. I stayed close so that is things got growly i could pick her up and put her in the pen, but thant didn't happen. I did do some reading about introducing a yorkie to bigger dogs. One of the things i got out of it was not to lift the little one up when doing introductions because whoever has the highest head is the "leader" amd you don't want the yorkie to challenge the other dog without knowing it. It also said not to repremand the larger dog if it gets intense, just pick up the little one and calmly walk away. Good luck! Hope all goes well!
lucirbc is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!