View Single Post
Old 02-23-2009, 05:33 PM   #8
luckylady
Living My Yorkie Dream
Donating Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mommy_2_Roxy View Post
Hi everyone. I joined this board two weeks ago and I just love it here. I really value and trust
people's opinions on YT - so with that being said I have some really important questions for you

#1) The breeder I'm getting my puppy from (already put $400 down for a deposit). Her website has a lot of info if you want to check it out and tell me your thoughts. Since I'm so new to owning a dog I really can't tell if she's reputable or not.

#2) The breeder lets her pups go home at 7 weeks. I'll be picking mine up when she is 52 days old (7 1/2 weeks). I know this is very young. Should I be concerned that this could be a signal that she is not a good breeder?

I want to make the best choice possible I already feel attached to the puppy I put a deposit on - just look at my avatar if you don't believe me The breeder was very professional and polite on the phone and has given me weekly updates on her condition as well as weekly pictures.

Please help - - Thanks so much everyone!!!
I appreciate it so, so, so much
Hello....first let me say Welcome to Yorkie Talk! We are happy to have you here and hope that you will find it a great place and stay around for a long time to come. Personally, I love this place and spend at least a few hours on here every day.

Getting to your questions...starting with #2. My personal opinion (and that of many on here I am absolutely sure), is that 7-71/2 weeks is MUCH to young for a yorkie puppy or any small breed to be leaving it's mom and siblings. I have heard stories of such young pups going to their new homes that early and being okay.....I have also read horror stories. Not only are they barely weaned (maybe) at that age, but the smaller breeds are also prone to bouts of hypoglycemia (low blood suger) in stressful/new situations. I took a quick look on the website. On the "Our Puppies & Policies" page there is a paragraph on the 7-14 week stage as being the socialization period. Yes, but the puppy needs to learn those early socialization skills from it's mother & siblings Their play fighting and biting is not only play, but learning as well on what is acceptable play (not to rough) and what is not. I have seen it for myself with the litter I had, how mom steps in and corrects puppies and/or mom being what I thought was mean or rough, when in reality she was teaching the pups valuable lessons. Yorkie puppies and all small breed puppies should not leave for their new homes until 12 weeks of age ideally....sometimes a week or two earlier, depending on the circumstances.

That being said, in looking at the website; right away I would not buy from them. I see the word teacup right off (there is no such thing in the yorkie standard and not something to be breeding for). I don't see any pictures of the dogs being bred, and they have too many different breeds/mixed breeds for my liking. I don't know if they are good or bad and I'm not stating they are one way or the other. I also have nothing against mixed breeds, designer dogs, whatever anyone wants to refer to them as. I'm just saying that, well first of all, it's yorkies only for me, and after all I've learned from this website and the books I've read, this is not a breeder(s) I would buy from. JMO

I wish you the best of luck with your new baby. I don't know if your breeders would agree, but I would try to convince them to keep your pup until it is at least 10 weeks old. Have you gone to the breeders home, have you seen the pup in person and/or it's parents? Have you asked tons of questions and gotten answers to you satisfaction? These are all things that you should do and expect your breeder to allow you to do/see. I hope some of what I've said helps. Good luck to you.

Last edited by admin; 02-26-2009 at 11:58 AM. Reason: Edited quoted post
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!