Thread: Royal Canine?
View Single Post
Old 02-23-2009, 05:23 PM   #13
Wylie's Mom
Furbutts = LOVE
Donating Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nancy1999 View Post
Just using the word kickback implies the vets are doing something unethical, that they know better, but that dollar they make from selling the food, is more important than your dogs health. I would never see a vet that I felt this way about. Look at all the other ways they could earn money from your dog, if they were unethical.

Remember, a physician's rule of "first do no harm?" This is a rule doctor's take very seriously. Doctors are scientists and they need scientific proof.

Following your vet's advice on diet, may not give your dog the "best" diet, but it will be a relatively safe diet.
Speaking of the majority of vets with whom I've had experience ....if they followed the Hippocratic Oath of do no harm, not to mention following published studies PROVING, scientifically, that they should change protocols -- then overvaccination would have been a thing of the past years ago.

Instead, we hear of vet practices sending memos to their vets instructing them not to teach clients about Core vaccines and not to teach them about the 2003 AAHA findings or the 2006 AAHA findings. Why? Revenue, period. Vets who continue to overvaccinate, for years now, are not following the Hippocratic Oath, nor are they operating from science-based protocols. They are operating from a revenue-based protocol. That, to me , IS unethical.

They have foods on their shelves that contain (and clearly list) ethoxyquin and menadione, among other things. That, to me, IS unethical. With very little knowledge about nutrition (vast majority of vets), they are selling nutrition to their clients - clients who might have blind faith in the Vet's authority and knowledge of what they are selling. Sorry, but that bothers me greatly.

I'm just not looking for "relatively safe" vet care - which is why I will advocate to my last breath for my own dogs' health and others -- which may be in direct opposition to what is the current "norm" in many vet practices. Because it is the norm, it does not mean we should accept it or assume it is in our dogs' best health.

I don't mean to go off here, but I'm especially sensitive to this issue today - my vet made a massive mistake with Marcel today (and I also learned of one which she made a year ago). While I try to be diligent and attentive and knowledgeable - I failed. I trusted my vet too much and I should've trusted my gut.

And btw, I also think much of this applies to human doctors - a person should never just blindly trust a human doctor either. We should always inform ourselves about health, whether it be our own or that of a pet.

°¨¨¨°ºOº°¨¨¨° Ann | Pfeiffer | Marcel Verdel Purcell | Wylie | Artie °¨¨¨°ºOº°¨¨¨°
Wylie's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!