View Single Post
Old 02-23-2009, 04:40 PM   #1
Charlene1963
Senior Yorkie Talker

Default A very sick boy/happy ending

Hi everyone,

I haven't posted much for a while. We've had a difficult fall/winter and the new year started off even worse.

Ziggy got sick the third week of January-some vomiting and diarrhea. We were in and out of the vet's a few times and to the animal emergency room as well. After 10 days of this and not eating/pooping the vet did an exploratory surgery and discovered his bowel was full of holes and he was leaking feces into his abdomen. He had peritonitis and was full of infection.She gave him a 30% chance of surviving surgery. She operated for 2 1/2 hours and repaired or cut out rotten holes in his bowel wall and took his secum (appendix). He spent about 10 days in the hospital with various drains, shunts and tubes. We knew he wasn't out of the woods until he did that first solid poop. Two weeks after the surgery he did a good poop and we broke out some champagne to celebrate. He has survived and is fully recovered thanks to the excellent medical care he received. The vet even took him home with her for the weekend so she could keep an eye on him and give him injections.

We have no idea what perforated his bowel-we are so careful with foods and toys; we'll probably never know.

Every day I thank God for guiding us to this vet who has given him a second chance.

I'm attaching a post surgery picture-not very pretty. He's shaved in so many places for the surgery and iv's that he doesn't look very pretty (not that it matters). The holes are where he had drains put in. Tomorrow he goes to the groomer's for a puppy cut and a fresh new look.

BTW: $4300 for this illness-thank heavens for pet insurance.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Ziggy belly (Small).JPG (63.4 KB, 41 views)
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!