Thread: New AVMA Form
View Single Post
Old 02-23-2009, 03:11 PM   #1
Woogie Man
Donating Member

Thumbs down New AVMA Form

I went today to my vet's to get the tails and dewclaws done on Scarlett's babies. Before they would do it, the vet tech comes in with a form from the AVMA that I had to sign before getting the procedure done. It basically stated that I was asking the vet to perform a cosmetic procedure and that there were risks associated with it. If I hadn't signed it, they wouldn't have done it. This really torqued my cookies. Is this the beginning of what we're seeing happen in England? Shouldn't the AVMA be consulting with breed clubs before going this route? Also, I don't like the idea of my name being on a piece of paper such as this. Who knows where this paper winds up and who may have access to it. To me, they are not the group that should be spearheading such an effort. It seems a little hypocritical to me, too. The AVMA has a vaccination protocol that calls for 3 year vaccination intervals but doesn't have the vet make you sign a piece of paper stating the risks of over-vaccination before they administer annual vaccinations. To me, this has more of an impact on a dog's health than any 'cosmetic procedure' yet they're silent about that. Does anybody else see a dis-connect here?
Woogie Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!