View Single Post
Old 02-23-2009, 09:41 AM   #1
YorkieMaybe
Yorkie Yakker

Default Why it is important to ask questions to breeders

Wanted to post this for anyone looking for a puppy(of any breed)
I had posted a Norwich Terrier breeders website on here and was asking for advice on whether it looked good or not.... any red flags, etc. Overall everything on her site looked great... but after her e-mail response I am definitely NOT going to use this breeder. These are the questions I asked and the answers I received. I am SO glad I asked these questions....(the smileys are from me)

When is your next planned litter? I have 2 moms pregnant now. One brought the other in heat. I have deposits on the litters already. If you are interested, I can explain. There should be probably 2-3 puppies that have yet to be reserved by a deposit.
How often do you breed/have litters? I have litters about 4 times a year. I do not breed every heat cycle.
What can you tell me about your dogs individual personalities/temperments? I can tell you over the phone once you decide you are serious about buying. For short, I can say they have the Norwich charm.
Are your dogs kenneled or in the house? Both, although the kennel also has a large yard attached. I cannot have the dogs mixed when they are in heat or have puppies. Although the puppies are born in my home, after 3 weeks I have to place them in a special home in a separate building or my house would start to smell.
What type, if any, health testing do you do on your dogs? They have had a general health test and the AKC rep has visited our home.
What type/length of waiting list do you have? I generally start accepting deposits once I know my mom is pregnant. Sometimes people insist on an earlier deposit so they can have first pick, though.
When registering with AKC, do you name the dogs or do you let the owners name/help name? I sell only as pets. I would never name your pet! That is your privilege.
How much do your pups cost? $1500-$2400.
Do you give 'discounts/deals' if someone wants two pups? possibly
Do you help pick out specific pups for owners? I help in that I describe the puppy, but it is your puppy and I want you to pick what is best for your family.
Do you have a contract for your puppies? I have a contract agreement but it does not pry into every detail of your life. I do require all interested buyers to call me. I will not sell to just anybody.
Do you allow pups that have been sold to be bred? No, I have very strong feelings about puppy mills and I will not allow my puppies nor their offspring to ever have the possibly of getting into the hands of a puppy mill.
How much time do you spend on planning the litter & rearing the pups? days and hours.
At what age can the pups go to their new homes? no sooner than 8 weeks and will keep the puppies longer if I need to.
What comes with the pup when it leaves? Information that will prepare you to be the best owner possible. I am here months afterwards if you have questions. If you are asking for freebie bribes, I'm interested in the puppy and owner, not bribing people will freebies.
YorkieMaybe is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!