View Single Post
Old 02-22-2009, 07:28 PM   #1
moochieboomer
YorkieTalk Newbie!

Default Chopper ate sugarless gum

So tonight when my five year old came home from hockey, he left a package of gum laying around. My oldest said...the dog is eating something. I picked Chopper up and could smell the gum flavor on his breath. I immediately grabbed the package and it was Trident sugar free containing xylitol.

I phoned the vet, and since we didn't know if he actually ate any of the gum or how much if he did get some...she told me to induce vomiting. About 10 minutes later he threw up and there was 2 pieces of gum.

She said that since we caught it quickly that all of the gum should have came right up. She talked about watching for hypoglycemia and that there could be potential liver problems. She said that I could bring him in for IV fluids and he could stay overnight but that there is no staff there.

I've decided to keep him at home and watch over him like a hawk!! I am able to phone and bring him in if I need to tonight. She also said to induce vomiting again just to make sure there was no more gum. I have done that and there was no sign of anymore gum.

Just wondering if anyone else has gone through this before...and what signs I should be looking for. Or if anyone has other advice? He has eaten and had fluids since the vomiting...hopefully that is okay. I am worried sick not knowing how long until I'm out of the woods.
moochieboomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!