View Single Post
Old 03-13-2005, 08:48 PM   #7
aimee
The Royal Mommy
Donating Member

One thing I did when I brough Tia home was lay down rules and stick to them. It's hard to break a habit you start "because she's so new" by all means give your new puppy all the love and attention you can, but don't let her chew on the furniture the first day.

As far as my kids go, I had a very very long talk with them about Tia. I had been teaching them about "our new puppy" from the time I started researching them. When I brought Tia home, the kids were allowed to pet her while sitting on the floor, but that was it. I'm a mean mommy, no holding the puppy (or Sandy who is 14 lbs, either) and they are not allowed to be alone with either doggie, ever. My dogs are with me 24/7, I'm a stay at home mom and don't let them out of my sight. The dogs don't love the kids any less, if anything they are more comfortable around them than anyone because they have learned that there is no chance of them being harmed. When my kids have friends over, I put my dogs in my room, close the door. Tia goes right to her crate and Sandy under the covers. I'm not sure how old your children are, but the key is to ALWAYS supervise any child with a small dog. Your kid can be the most gentle in the world, but the puppy could want to go and fly out of the childs' arms without a second thought.

Another thing, remember that other people do not neccessarily educate their children about handling animals. I am very wary of any children around my dogs. My friend with a Yorkie went to someones' house and didn't watch her like a hawk. Next thing she knew, one of the kids had taken the dog. As she was coming in the room, the kid had the dog OVER HIS HEAD and proceeded to throw the dog on the floor. As you can imagine, it was a scary situation for all involved. Thankfully she came out alright. But this is one of many reasons I don't allow children to handle or be alone with my dogs. (okay, I'll get off this subject!!)

Other things I did:
Put the vets' number on speed dial.
Gave as much love to Tia as is humanly possible.
Socialized her with my other dog under close supervision.
I have enrolled her in training classes which start in April
Began training asap. She now knows how to sit, be good during a bath, and let me brush her all I want.

I agree that your breeder should be there for you to answer any questions you have which may come up!

As far as food, my breeder had her on Royal Canin and I have continued with that for the time being and it has worked well for me. My breeder was also feeding wet food two times a day but she is now only on solid food. (with a little help from some water and 10 seconds in the microwave - as suggested somewhere on this forum)

Discuss and begin forming a good relationship with your vet. Ask if they have worked with small dogs before and if you ever feel uncomfortable, remember that it is okay to switch vets. In case of any health problems, it's always good to have a good relationship there.

I think that's it. Good luck on your new addition! I'm sure you will do great and there are so many knowledgeable people here, feel free to ask any questions you may have!

aimee is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!