View Single Post
Old 02-21-2009, 04:50 PM   #6
bjh
Donating YT 5000 Club Member

Yes, you can put down the ground up dry food. Just make sure it is finely ground. I always grind it in the blender then pour it in a colander to sift out any large chunks. I make up several cups and just put out a little and I store the rest in a air tight container.

It is important to clip the puppies nail. Just feel of them, they probably feel like little razors and that hurts the momma. I just use little fingernail clippers and clip off the little points.

You pups probably need more room now. When mine are that age I remove the whelping box from the x-pen and I put a board up across the middle of the x-pen so the momma can still go in and out but the pups cannot. For the bottom of the x-pen I spread out a sheet doubled up, they will have a thicker comforter on one end, I put food and water in the middle and then potty pads. As the puppies get bigger I give them more room in the x-pen.

Your puppies do not need the heating pad unless you have really cold floors. When mine are that age in the winter I will leave the pad longer but they have room to get off of it if they need too.

How many puppies is she nursing? Is the momma eating a lot of food? You need make sure she is eating about 4 times a day.
bjh is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!