View Single Post
Old 02-21-2009, 11:24 AM   #9
TLC
Slave to My Rug-Rats
Donating Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cley View Post
I worry about giving Mia too much karo syrup. Could that be a problem. When her sugar get low she start to jerk and with about 1/8 tsp or so she quits. Some times when I wont be with her and she hasn't eaten I'll give her a dropper full about 1/8 tsp or so to make sure she doesn't have a spell while we are gone. Do you think that is ok? We have 3 week before the surgery so I want to keep her as well as possible. Her vet (here not @ UT) says that she is doing well enough that he "almost" hates to see me put her through it. My feeling are that I should do it before it becomes an emergency situation. What is your opinion?
She should NOT be surviving on Kayro Syrup. You are making her blood sugar rise very quick and then it drops really hard and fast.

The bottom line is she needs to eat about 6 small meals a day, spaced out every couple of hours.

1st I recommend that you get Children's Pedisure (vanilla flavor) and a syringe and force feed her some nutrients. Then you need to get her to eat either the RX Royal Canin kibble OR at this point Natural Balance Veggie Formula (dry kibble).

As snacks: Romaine Lettuce, Apple Bits and Watermelon

Romaine Lettuce is filled with Vit.K which is very helpful with blood flow in LS and MVD dogs.

Apple has pectin which is good for her tummy and also has fiber, which will aid the Lactulose.

If you don't want to get Rx Royal Canin food. You can also try Natural Balance, which make a Dry Vegetarian Blend, this is also recommended. It is important to feed her about 6 small meals a day, this method doesn't over work her organs, but do not allow more than 10 hrs to pass between feedings.

If you can not get her to eat the Natural Balance Veg or the Rx Royal Canin, you can coat some of the kibbles with a very, very, very tiny bit of Cottage Cheese. Friendship (brand) makes a Low Sodium 1% Cottage Cheese. If you do not have the Friendship brand, you can get some low sodium Goat Cheese, but again, only to coat some kibble to entice her to eat.

Please join that Yahoo Group that I posted, as they are much more experienced and knowledgable and they WILL help you too!

My opinion based on what you are telling us, is that she is NOT doing well. If she has a shunt and is a candidate for surgery, I say YES get it done at U of Tenn.

What are the results from her Bile Acid Test?

-Nicole
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!