View Single Post
Old 02-21-2009, 09:44 AM   #3
TLC
Slave to My Rug-Rats
Donating Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cley View Post
My 11 month old baby is scheduled to go to UT and have her shunt testing and her surgery the middle of March. I'll be glad when its over. My problem is getting her to eat. The University of Florida that we went to has her on Hill's l/d diet and lactulose for management but after research I've found that the University of Tennessee is the preferred place to go for the surgery and I've decided that I want to go beyond diet management if she is a candidate. She doesn't like Nutri-cal so my vet said give her karo syrup. She liked the hill's at first but now I can't get her to eat it. She never lived the canned. Now about all I can get her to eat is some cheese and not much of that. As long as I give her the karo syrup her sugar doesn't go low and the lactulose make her have a bowel movement but it's hard to regulate the consistacy of it because of her eating. She acts like she feel OK most of the time. She hasn't had anymore seizures, lathergy, or been in a coma since we came from t UF in July. Her major symptom is hypoglycemia and anorexia. Sometimes she shivers terribly and act like she doesn't feel good so we are just waiting for the middle of March. My question is how do I get her to eat?
Please join this Group: DogLiverDisease : Dog Liver Disease

The people there are just like you and Mia. They have pups that had LS surgery, they have pups that are not a candidate for surgery or their pups have MVD. They will give you wonderful support, help and guidance for Mia now and for the important after surgery care and then her lifetime care.

She will be ok, you are a good Mommy.

Food...she must eat. She doesn't like the wet? Can you get the Rx food from your Vet: Royal Canin Hepatic LS 14 - She should be eating about 6 small meals a day. She can have some apple bits (no skin) and watermelon too, as well as romaine lettuce
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!