View Single Post
Old 02-21-2009, 09:05 AM   #7
Nancy1999
I ♥ Joey & Ralphie!
Donating Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by my2boyz View Post
Thank you Nancy, I'll read the link you provided. It's been a while since I've had female dogs and they said they keep the girls for 2 nights after a spay and they keep the boys for one night which is standard. Also, they said they don't send you home with pain meds, they give them an antibiotic shot and pain shot each day they are there. Is all of that standard routine?
I didn't know they would keep girls two nights; in fact this is the first I've read about that. Joey didn't even have to spend the night. Surgery was performed in the morning, and I got to pick him up at 5:00. Others have said that their vets wanted the dog to spend the night, but no one is at the facility to check on them anyway, it's just that the vet wanted to keep them inactive. I would make sure someone was at the facility; that would really bother me. Joey was allergic to his pain medication and had to stop it on the second day anyway, and the vet said that I could just use baby aspirin if he seemed like he was in pain, but he seemed fine, however, girls have a harder time. I think I would check around if I were you, I just don't like the idea of them spending the night away from me, especially if no one will be there.

By the way, quite a few of our members have had the laser surgery on their girls, and recovery is much easier and faster, if you are checking other vets, you might want to check on this option.

Last edited by Nancy1999; 02-21-2009 at 09:07 AM.
Nancy1999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!