View Single Post
Old 02-21-2009, 08:28 AM   #2
C C Kent
YT Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mweasel View Post
Hello everyone. I have heard from many sources including vets that animals can not catch a human illness. Is this true? Everyone seems to think so but after owning multiple dogs I seem to think that they can. I have been sick with a cold or flu only to have my dog get the "exact same thing". Is that just a fluke or do the virus' mutate and turn into a doggie disease? Also can we catch a dogs disease? I believe we can. After reading up on kennel cough I found out that it was once thought that it wouldn't effect humans but recent studies have shown otherwise and it can hurt humans, especially the young, elderly or people with immune problems.

So what do you all think. Can dogs catch our illnesses? I believe they can. Mine seem to. Either that or I have the worse luck ever, Lol. Anyway, I'd love to read everyone's responses. Thank you.
Diseases that can be transmitted from other vertabrates to humans are called Zoonotic and there are a few. Brucellosis is one and from a lecture on this subject the speaker says this won't kill a human but it will make them wish they could die.

The dogs body temperature is higher than ours so it makes them suceptible to different strains than humans for the most part. Swine have an even higher body temp and can eat almost anything without becoming sick...but let them contract a respiratory infection and it will sweep through them like wildfire.
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!