Thread: Time of Heat
View Single Post
Old 02-21-2009, 04:52 AM   #2
luckylady
Living My Yorkie Dream
Donating Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chinovince View Post
My female Lela is having her 2nd heat very soon at the age of 15 months, I know that the best time for the breeding is from one week until 12 days after the heat, I wonder if I should isoler my male Gigo from her until the best time of breeding has come. Or, I should let them do it all naturally as I keep both at home all the time.
I am eager to have them producing babies, what should I do in order to assist? Thanks for your advices in advance.

Sounds like this is a first for you. The best thing for you to do in order to assist is to be prepared. I have used this website Canine Reproduction Video and Book on Breeding and Whelping dogs by Debbie Jensen for dog breeders and Whelping Supplies needed to deliver puppies. , and highly reccomend it to anyone that asks for help on breeding, whelping, and/or weaning puppies. It gives great help on all of these subjects & more.

Definitely keep Gigo & Lela separated and/or under close supervision during her entire 3 week heat cycle. They should only be "together" at the times of breeding, and even then you will want/need to be with them to supervise and/or assist to prevent injury to your male (or either of them) should either of them make a wrong move while they are tied. You'll only want them to tie once a day....maybe every other day during the fertile days. Any more than that could deplete the males sperm supply for when you really need it.

Having only had one litter myself so far, I am no expert, but these are things I have read here on YT and from the websites & books I have read. The best suggestion I can give is to read as much information as you can....and then read it all again and again. Good luck to you and do keep us posted..............and Welcome to Yorkie Talk!!!
luckylady is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!