Thread: walking
View Single Post
Old 02-20-2009, 11:12 PM   #6
QuickSilver
Thor's Human
Donating Member

I think there are several approaches to this:

1) Simply keep walking until your dog decides he'd rather be walked than dragged. I've done this with Thor and sometimes he just needs extra incentive to get going. He also tends to stop as a way of communicating his desired direction, ie "why didn't we turn left to go towards the PARK?"

2) Try walking your dog in a different direction. Thor was really fighting his evening walk, like stopping on every single corner and trying to turn around. Then I started walking towards, duh, the park. He's perfectly happy to do that even if we don't make it all the way there. He likes knowing he's walking towards a park, towards home, or in a new, unexplored territory.

3) I saw this one on "Dog Whisperer". If you have a car, drive about 1/4 mile away from your house and see if your dog will walk home. If he will, you can gradually build him up until he realizes that he likes to walk.

ETA: I've walked Thor for two hours with his little legs a blur the entire way - and he still had energy when we got home! They are tough doggies.

Last edited by QuickSilver; 02-20-2009 at 11:14 PM.
QuickSilver is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!