Thread: teeth cleaning
View Single Post
Old 02-20-2009, 06:36 PM   #8
Ellie May
And Rylee Finnegan
Donating Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 143julz View Post
Interesting read here, Crystal, How old is your pup? Maybe the younger we start, the easier it becomes..
Dud is 8 mo, wouls like to get him off on the right start...suggestions welcomed..
Ellie is seven.
She had retained baby teeth. They were never taken care of.
Went to different vet in 2006/2007 when she started losing her front (adult) teeth. At that time no baby teeth were seen. Must've fallen out.
Was diagnosed with stage 3-4 peridontal disease (worst is 4) and osteomyelitis.
She had nine adult teeth pulled.
As a side note, she ate mostly kibble for years and had chews...don't count on that doing much good.
She has had one dental since (October 07) just because she was already under for something else. Other that that, the vet says her teeth look great right now. Her breath is gross though.
She has eaten homecooked since the recalls a long time ago and it isn't an issue. She does not get chew bones. I'm not saying these shouldn't be used though... lol, most vets would cringe at this post.

We use CET Vanilla Mint toothpaste. I used Petzlife a few times but have since decided against it.

I don't think her teeth are perfect now but for the problems she had before, it seems that they are just fine.

And if you decide to floss (carefully so they don't swallow it), be ready to get your fingers bitten off.

We have tried SoniCare but Ellie detests it.
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!