View Single Post
Old 10-06-2005, 10:53 AM   #4
yorkieusa
Crazy about Kacee!
Donating Member

Here are some answers:

My Yorkie has a dry hacking cough that sounds like something is stuck in her throat. Could it be tonsilitis?

Yorkies are prone to tonsilitis, especially if they go outside to make and get a chill, or if someone in the family has a "strep" sore throat -- They will "get it"...to be sure. A tonsilectomy is called for ONLY IF THE TONSILITIS BECOMES CHRONIC, but in the meantime treating the tonsilitis with Amoxicillin 50 mg 2 x day and temaril p (antihistimine with prednisilone) keeps down the inflammation and the mucous. Be sure to use the Amoxicillin for 10 days.
If the dog has tonsilitis regularly like every other two weeks or once a month, then I would consider doing a tonsilectomy.
Kennel cough (traceobronchitis) is a cough with congestion usually and lasts about 30 days. Treatment is pretty much the same except an expectorant (childs cough syrup) might be called for, if the congestion is bad. Kennel Cough is usually the case where dogs congregate and are in a closed area -- Like a benched indoor kennel club show where no fresh air is circulating.
From what you described, a "clearing of the throat" sounds like tonsilitis. Another way to tell if the tonsils are swollen is because you can feel little lumps swollen also when tonsils get infected. The lumps are just at the angle of the jaw bone.
Another thing that you might want to check if the cough is persistent is the trachea. An x ray will show if there is trachea damage or an inherited trachea problem. Some small dogs that are anethesized to have teeth pulled, etc. need very small tubes to be inserted and if the technician forces a tube in the trachea that is too big, it can cause tracheal damage and this is something I've heard of many times before. Always insist that your VET intubates your toy dog with a small as possible tube so that the trachea is not damaged. I put this on my bill of sale for the client to take to the vet because I feel it is so important.
If you like, you can discuss this letter and the attachments about tonsilitis, tracheobronchitis, and collapsing trachea and damage with our vet. It may help and if your vet thinks I'm nuts for suggesting it after 30 years of raising these little dogs, then you need to find another vet.

TRACHEA COLLAPSE

There can be a weakness in the trachea and if it collapses the dog cannot breathe. Emergency surgery and inserting plastic devices or coils can be done in some cases to keep the dog alive. This can be caused by severe hacking from a cold or it can be a congenital thing.
Symptoms -- A loud honking, dry cough. Gasping, unable to breath.

TRACHEOBRONCHITIS (INFECTIOUS)
KENNEL COUGH

A mild, self-limiting disease, involving the trachea and bronchi of dogs of any age. It spreads rapidly among animals that are closely confined as in hospitals or in kennels. Environmental factors such as cold, drafts and high humidity apparently increase susceptibility to the disease.
The incubation period is 5 to 10 days. The outstanding sign is a harsh, dry cough, which is aggravated by activity or excitement. The coughing occurs followed by retching or gagging in attempts to clear small amounts of mucous from the throat. Reverse sneezing is noted in some cases. Gentle pressure over the larynx or trachea will induce a cough. Body temperature is normal in the early stages but may be elevated as secondary bacterial invasion takes place. The most severe signs are noted during the first five days, but continue in some degree for 10 to 20 days.
Treatment - Keep warm (not hot) and quiet. An expectorant like Benadryl Children's Antihista-mine/Nasal Decongentant (dosage 1 to 1 1/2 ml-two times a day) and though antibiotics have no effect on the primary disease and it will have to run its' course, they may be used to good effect in controlling secondary bacterial infection, which could lead to pneumonia if unchecked. Amoxicillin is my Veterinarian's choice as a primary antibiotic. 50 mg two times day for ten days.
Whether or not to vaccinate your dogs against Bordatella (another respiratory disease) probably depends on your exposure. If they are to be kennelled or shown at indoor shows during the cold winter months, then it is probably a very good idea to have your veterinarian give this vaccination which is very effective. It may give your dog a mild case of the disease, but can be beneficial if the exposure is a threat.

TONSILLITIS

Most toy dogs are prone to tonsillitis when the weather changes and there are severe temperature fluctuations and don't let anybody kid you a tiny toy dog can die from tonsillitis if left untreated.
It is important that you know the symptoms and treatment for this because the symptoms can be confused with other gastritis problems and waste valuable time in treatment. Toy dogs can not afford to lose too much weight, particularly the tiny ones.
The first sign of tonsillitis is refusing to eat, that progresses to lethargy, swelling of the salivary glands (just below the jaw bones) and if you can open the mouth and depress the tongue you will see that the tonsils are inflamed and enlarged, the back of the tongue is affected and red and swallowing is difficult. If left untreated, the dog will be swallowing mucous and the next sign you'll see is mucous in the stool. Depending on the size of the dog this will progress to a severe gastritis and thereby produce mucous stool and later yet bloody stool. The dog does not necessarily run a fever through this episode.
If this toy dog is very small; that is, a three or four pound dog, and you have delayed getting to the veterinarian, you have one very sick dog who may even be too weak to stand or convulsing.
The dog as presented to the Vet could be suffering from any one of many different diseases, so the first thing he may do is suggest a blood test and fecal test, etc. to rule out any infectious diseases. Now you are weakening an already weak dog.
It won't hurt to mix the formula for a pregnant sick bitch in Whelping and Sick Puppy and syringe the dog to keep up it's strength. Also give pepto bismol mixed with Nutri-Cal to coat the stomach. Ask your Vet to check the throat and salivary glands on your dog to rule out tonsillitis before taking blood and if the tonsils are inflamed treat the dog as follows:
50 mg Amoxicillin 2 times a day for ten days
1/4 temaril P 2 x day for 3 days, 1 x day for 2 days...every other day 3 x....
(do not give temaril p or any steroid if pregnant)
Temaril P is a combination drug which is no longer available, but your vet can prescribe another similar drug which will help your dog to recovery. The Amoxicillin will attack the infected throat and the temaril P is an antihistamine with prednisolone which will take down the inflammation so the dog will start to eat again.
Within a day or so if the dog isn't any better, THEN IS THE TIME TO START blood tests and whatever else is necessary. If Amoxicillin is going to work, you should see results in 24 hours. Any antibiotic therapy must be continued for the full duration of 7 to 10 days. Don't stop giving it mid-stream. To do so will only mean that next time you need that antibiotic, it may not work!
DO NOT ALLOW YOUR TOY DOG TO GO WITHOUT EATING FOR MORE THAN ONE DAY WITHOUT SEEKING A SOLUTION. MIX THE GRUEL AND SEE IF THEY KEEP IT DOWN. Remember your last sore throat and how hard it was to swallow. Dogs won't eat if their throat hurts!

http://www.shooterdog.com/alexfaq3.htm
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!