View Single Post
Old 02-19-2009, 03:33 PM   #2
marcerella02
Loved by Layla
Donating Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teiya View Post
Just a few days ago, I adopted a precious little girl named Teiya.

Teiya (pronounced Tay-Ah) is 1.5 years old and approximately 3.5lbs. She's fit in beautifully with my family, and as you can imagine, is already spoiled rotten. Yesterday, we went on a huge shopping spree and I bought her nearly everything in sight.

My questions:
Teiya seems a little underweight. I can feel her spine and hip bones a little too well for my liking. Her previous owner was feeding her Pedigree, but I prefer Solid Gold. I'm weaning her slowly from one food to the other to keep her tummy from getting upset. She doesn't eat much, or often. Is there anything I can cook for her to fatten her up a little? I gave her scrambled eggs yesterday with a teaspoon of flaxseed oil and she inhaled it in less than 30 seconds. I was just worried because she hadn't eaten anything.

She has knots around her face. What's the best way to work these out? I have a detangling spray and a mat breaking comb, but her patience is thin with me working on them. I don't want to hurt her, but I'd rather not cut them away if I don't have to.

She's intact. I've never had an intact animal before but she's SO small that I worry about spaying her. I don't intend to breed her, so spaying seems responsible, as well as beneficial to her health. Any advice on that?

She's got a scratch on her nose. Not a deep one, but one that looks like she got into something she shouldn't have. Can I put neosporin on it?

I have A LOT to learn about Yorkies. I've always had westies and was deeply involved in westie rescue for 5 years. Yorkies are a whole new world to me, but so far I'm loving every second!
WELCOME to YT!!! and yay for rescuing her!

I'd lay off the knots for a while- let her get used to you and your house before you start going at her with a brush but as far as i know you just gotta slowly work on them.

Keep going slow with the food change- she is going from pure crap to high quality food and it is going ot be very hard on her system.

If you want to fatten a dog up- Layla's nutritionist said to ad in starch- so you can cook up some brown rice, whole wheat pasta, potato, sweet potato and add it into her kibble. This will get her weight up.

Once you have done that and she has been looked over by a vet then i'd do the spay.

Do not put neosporin on her nose as she will probably lick it off and it's not good for her- again. i'd go to the vet and see what they say.
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!