View Single Post
Old 02-19-2009, 12:06 PM   #2
yorkiekist
YT 3000 Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by blancla View Post
I have everything prepared for my litter to arrive. I would like to ask a question. I am planning on keeping water and food down for the mother in the whelping box. I had a litter of puppies before that would try to get into the water and food dishes. What do you breeders use to keep this from happening? I have changed from a wire crate, to the wood whelping box. It has a tile floor so that it will be easier for clean up, and a potty area with a door that can be closed until we start the potty training. I don't want anything to happen to the babies, and as you know they get pretty mobile fast. I am wanting something that I can keep up off of the ground, and high enough that they can't climb into it.

Please share pictures of what you have if you have any that are available. I can post pictures of my whelping box later this evening.
I keep the water and food outside the whelping box and keep a very shallow water dish, just fill it more often. Or I use a water bottle like the kind for gerbils or rabbits. When the puppies are old enough to get out of the box, I do have a very shallow water dish available for them. At this time the pups can feel free to wade through the food bowl. This is usually when they start weaning themselves. That food kind-of tastes pretty good!LOL
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!