View Single Post
Old 02-18-2009, 08:00 PM   #4
Kodak
And Lil Sister Kamari
Donating Member

Hi, I'm in an apartment and I read a lot of books about yorkies and online about potty training before I got Kodak. It worked really well the 2nd time with Kamari even though they will still have accidents. The members here also had good suggestions that I will pass on and it helped me out.

I purchased a metal crate and padded it comfortably for his bed area & I left the door open. If you don't use a crate, at least put a bed out for your pup.
I also purchased 2 baby gates ($10 at Walmart) to confine him to one area while I was gone.
I put a pad he had already peed on outside the crate so as soon as he walked out, he could smell it and use it.
I then surrounded the crate with pads.
I left little plush squeaky toys (away from the pads) & in his crate to help him with his teething so he wouldn't chew the pads or my shoes etc.
I put a stuffed pup animal with one of my socks tied on it so he could smell me and lay on it while I was away.
I left a radio or the tv on so he could get use to noises to help him to not be startled or scary.
I kept a small bowl of kibble and most importantly a water dish to the side away from the pads. They need to learn to distingush the difference of where to eat and where to pee.
I gave him a fingertip of nutrical before I left every morning to.
When I got home, I would pick up the pads and clean up any mistakes made outside the pads. It's takes a minute but they eventually get it. One thing that helped me was to take them out every morning around the same time. Even if it meant waking up 15 minutes earlier, it's worth it. This creates a schedule for your pup to use the bathroom around the same time everyday. Then as soon as I walked in the door, before I took my coat off, I let them out again. My last time letting them out was before I go to sleep and they would get up and go to the pad during the night or hold it. If you see your pup running in circles or looking for a spot, take him to the pads or let him outside asap. This helps him to know to start signaling when it's time to go and to run to the pad or go outside. It's a lot and this may not work for everyone, but I hope it helps you out. If you're going to take him in another room with you, put another pad down but not all the time. They have to learn one area or outside. Good luck.
Kodak is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!