View Single Post
Old 02-18-2009, 12:09 PM   #1
LunaBelle
Yorkie Yakker

Default Need advice on pee pad training from those with fully trained yorkies!

Hi, I'm a new YT member and my new baby girl will be coming home in about 2 weeks!

I'd like to have a solid potty training plan before she comes home and would appreciate any input from those of you who have been successful in training your puppies to use pee pads. I do understand that this will be a long process and need some input on the best way to do it.

My plan right now is to use a play pen since I've read that it's best to keep them contained to a small area until they're fully trained. I will put the pee pad (I'll be using Pooch Pads, the washable pads) on one end of the pen and her bed, food toys, etc. at the other end. I will be home to monitor the puppy and encourage pee pad use. When she is playing outside of her pen I will bring her onto her pee pad for potty breaks. If anyone can offer suggestions or tell me what you did please let me know! I'm open to anything including suggestions that don't include use of a play pen at all.

Also, if I train her to use a pee pad in the pen, might she be confused when it's time to expand outside of the pen and not be able to find her pee pad in a larger space?
LunaBelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!