View Single Post
Old 02-17-2009, 03:56 PM   #7
Teresamag
YT Addict

I have a very easy way of marking puppies to tell them apart. It's easy to apply and very safe for the puppies. When they are born each puppy gets marked in the order of their birth, I do this when I weigh them and check them over.
Boys get marked on the left foot, girls on the right (it's easy to remember male and left each have only 4 letters). I use white fingernail polish so it's easy to see against the little black toenails. So, the first male born gets his first toenail on the left painted, the second male gets his second toenail on the left painted, the first girl gets her first toenail on the right painted, the second girl gets her second toenail painted and so on. You do have to reapply it every few days but it's really easy to do, especially if you are weighing them several times a day like I do. As the puppies get older and more mobile you may have to switch to their back feet instead of the front feet. The nail polish seems to last longer on their back feet.
Anyway this has worked well for me in the past and there isn't anything around their necks to get tangled up or strangled on.
Teresa

Last edited by Teresamag; 02-17-2009 at 03:59 PM.
Teresamag is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!