View Single Post
Old 02-17-2009, 01:57 PM   #11
Ashley V
♥ Chip ♥ Smokey ♥
Donating Member

My two won't eat any hard treats. They only eat moist ones. Some favorites in our house are Zukes Mini Naturals, BilJac, Puperoni, and Nature's Recipe Training Treats. When training, break them into tiny pieces so you don't get the baby too full too quickly. They don't need a whole treat to get the point... they just need a little taste.

To teach him his name... call his name and when he responds, reward him. Overuse his name. Start every sentence with his name and reward him for responding.

To teach sit, show him a treat and put it in front of his nose (kind of above) and pull back forcing him to look up and backwards which will eventually make him sit. Does that make sense?

For potty training, watch him 100% of the time and when you can't watch him, he needs to be put in his crate or wherever you leave him when you leave the house. Whenever he's showing signs (excessive sniffing, whining, circling, etc) of needing to go, take him to his pad and don't let him leave until he pees. He needs to go as soon as you get him out of bed in the morning and before he goes to bed. Also after every meal and probably about every hour or two. Keep track of his schedule and you'll eventually learn when he needs to go. When I was pad training Chip, I put his pad between the sink and the toilet and blocked the back of the toilet (he liked to sneak out from behind) and I would sit right in front of him telling him to potty until he went. Of course, when he goes, whether it's by you making him go, doing it on his own, whatever, reward him and throw a party... they love parties!!!

When he starts chewing on you, squeel really shrilly. He'll probably look at you really confused like and will stop, then give him something he can chew on. Remember, he's teething. He's not trying to be bad, he just needs to chew. Make sure you have lots and lots of things he's allowed to chew on and keep things off of the floor that he can't (like shoes, purses, electrical cords, etc.)

Also, while he's young, pick up his paws, look in his mouth, touch him everywhere... get him used to being touched in places that dogs are sensitive too. It will help later with taking him to the vet, getting groomed, etc.

Karley Marissa born 1/20/12 weighing 8 lbs 11 oz and 21.5 inches long

Last edited by Ashley V; 02-17-2009 at 01:58 PM.
Ashley V is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!