Thread: Puppy Shots
View Single Post
Old 02-17-2009, 01:22 PM   #8
bjh
Donating YT 5000 Club Member

There are many types of vaccinations available.

What I give is Progard Puppy-DPv which is just for distemper and parvo

Progard 5 would be contain distemper, adenovirus type 2, parainfluenza and parvo modified live.

Progard 6 would have the same as the progard 5 but with coronavirus protection added.

Progard 7 would have all of the above plus leptospira bacterin added.

I would never give a yorkie puppy a 6 in 1 or 7 in 1 shot but some vets do. Some areas lepto is a problem and if you let your dog outside then in some area it might be needed when the puppy is older and can handle it.

You can't treat a tiny yorkie puppy the same as say a lab puppy. Bigger breed puppies are weaned at a much earlier age and most are kept outside so they need immunizations at a little younger age.

I wish more people would educate themselves about vaccinations. No only do the vets over vaccinate but many breeders do too. Feed stores around here just carry 5 in 1 and 7 in 1 shots so many people just buy those without knowing the consequences of giving them to a tiny young puppy.

I have to add that what is recommended from the article is distemper and parvo only then rabies at a later date. The bordella can be given separately later if you are going to board. The bordella only last for 6 months anyway and it can actually give your dog kennel cough.

Last edited by bjh; 02-17-2009 at 01:25 PM.
bjh is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!