View Single Post
Old 02-17-2009, 08:18 AM   #15
bellasmomok
♥ love my girls!! ♥
Donating Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by linz06 View Post
I was just wondering for those of you who have transitioned from pads to outside, are you home ALL THE TIME with your babies? Layla has been having potty issues and peeing on the area rug under the kitchen table, and nothing seems to help. I'm wondering if maybe teaching her to go outside now (she's 3 years old) might stop her from thinking any fabric on the floor can be peed on! Maybe she can get used to the idea of peeing inside at all is a no-no. I just feel I can't ever take her to someone's house because she will pee and poop on their carpets
I have heard about these bells for a long time and thought it was a great idea! The problem is I work full-time and Layla is home by herself during the day. I don't know how it could be done with just weekends for full-day training.
The pads were great when I first got her and didn't have a fenced yard at all. I do now have a partially fenced yard, and I usually put up a baby gate so she can't get out when we play in the yard. But for the purpose of using bells, I have a little deck on the front of the house through sliding glass doors. I was thinking of putting her pad and tray on the deck so she could just go out there to pee.
Any thoughts?
Ditto, ditto, ditto, for me too! I'm re-training Bella from pads to outside for the same reasons---she's a little better at my house (still has a few accidents), but anyone else's house is really confusing to her. I work full-time, though my boyfriend is home some during the day...at least at lunch. We JUST started training her yesterday really, and it was a long day! Crate training really, really helps when you aren't there! If I were you, I'd consider keeping her in a crate while you're gone. I used to think that was terrible, and still have a small issue with it, but I know that Bella can hold it more than 8 hours because she holds it all night, so it shouldn't be any different during the day. I normally leave her in my bedroom during the day, but while we're potty training, she'll be in her crate. I'm glad my bf can be home for a bit during the middle of the day because Bella has to eat 3 times a day because of her liver, and because I just think 8 hours is a long time is such small quarters (though to be honest, I don't know how much running around she does during the day anyway...I think she mainly just sleeps from what I can tell!)
I think using the bells and re-training to go outside should work just fine for you as long as you're consistent in the mornings and evenings (and weekends), and if you crate tratin her! Using a crate really is the key to success with potty training, IMO. Once we got her crate when we first pad trained her, everything got so much easier!!! And, I use her crate not only to put her in when I can't watch her every second, but also for Mommy-time (sometimes I need a few minutes to myself when I don't have to be watching her every second, so remember, putting her in her crate for a few minutes so you can sit down and have a moment is just fine too! It doesn't hurt her at all....to me it signals quiet time for both of us. Then, when she's doing really, really good, you can go back to leaving her out if that's what you want, just as long as she doesn't start having accidents again....then you have to go back to "training-mode" until she's got it again! We've had to do that a couple of times.)
As far as putting a pad on the deck goes, I've heard of people who do that.....if that's what you want to do, go for it! Just be consistent!
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!