View Single Post
Old 02-17-2009, 06:49 AM   #5
Ladymom
Donating YT 2000 Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by YorkieLover9 View Post
He's so young. I know my Vet won't even acknowledge or accept the shot being effective if given before 8 weeks of age. Yes, it can be a reaction to the immunization. I always requested that Canyon got a shot of benadryl 20 mins prior to the puppy shot. This will help with any allergic reaction. I also never ever let the vet give Canyon more than one shot at a time. No combo of puppy shot and rabies, etc... The puppys are generally sleepy and not themselves afterwards and I seem to remember Canyon's stools not being too firm. As noted in the above post, make sure that he's eating and drinking water. Please also have nutrical on hand in the event he's not eating to keep his sugar level up since he's so young and I would guess at 7 weeks doesn't weigh a whole lot.

Congrats on the baby.

I agree. He's too young to have gotten his vaccinations. He still has antibodies from nursing that kill the viruses in the vaccine if given that early. They are worthless and put him at unnecessary risk. Your vet should have waited until he was nine weeks old to start his vaccinations. He also should still be with his mother.

A study of a cross section of different puppies showed that the age at which they were able to respond to a vaccine and develop protection (become immunized) covered a wide period of time. At six weeks of age, 25% of the puppies could be immunized. At 9 weeks, 40% of the puppies were able to respond to the vaccine and were protected. The number increased to 60% by 16 weeks, and by 18 weeks, 95% of the puppies could be immunized.

Maternal Immunity: Passive Disease Protection from the Mother in Dogs
Ladymom is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!