View Single Post
Old 02-16-2009, 09:22 AM   #9
Dara311
YT 2000 Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ileen View Post
[F]I have an urgent issue that I am dealing with. Apparently, at one time, while being groomed my Yorkie got clipped very badly and won't let anyone trim is nails. I have taken him to several groomers and to the vet. I have even resorted to having him slightly sedated. Even at that, while being muzzled, it took 2 techs to hold him down and they still couldn't get all of them. I have since decided to groom him myself. The biggest problem is that I had no idea the the quick continues to grow out. I thought that it was like our cuticles and that the nail would grow, but not the quick. Now I don't know what to do. His nails are very long and the vet doesn't want to do it and I am afraid to do it myself. Does anyone have any suggestions????[/font]

Dogs get very upset when they get their nails trimed, and the quick gets cut, because it hurts and it bleeds a lot. I would really tell you that you just need to start touching his feet, when he lets you touch them, give him treats and really praise him. I was a grooming assistant and tech for many years, and when I got fiona and attempted to trim her nails, she was a nut! With her growing up she has grown out of a lot of her trantrums, and i can finally cut her nails, however, i usually have to put all my weight on her and get them done. If he is due to get neutered or get any type of surgery done ask them to trim them while he is already under. I would really just try touching his feet and letting him get used to it first. How old is he?
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!