View Single Post
Old 02-15-2009, 08:08 PM   #1
ketters12
YT Addict

Default Potty training all over again after moving to a new place?? PLEASE HELP!!

So here is my situation- Tobey is now a little over 2 years old. He has only ever lived in one house since I brought him home. He was easy to potty train (got him as a puppy) and was trained to potty pads. he NEVER had an accident.

So my problem is that due to losing my job, I have moved in with two friends of mine who live in a townhouse with wall to wall cream carpeting. (trying to save a little money) My old house was all hardwood floors or tile with some thin rugs in some rooms. Now it seems that Tobey thinks the carpet is like one big potty pad! I am staying in the finished basement and his potty pad is in a storage room just off the finished room that we stay in ( just inside the door too). At first he was doing pretty good, but yesterday he had accidents all over the place. I use Nature's Miracle of course to clean the odor/spots up. I know I could try to confine him but he never had to be confined at our old house because he was totally trained and never destroyed anything. I tried to confine him to the basement, but he just whines and barks and I am worried he will bother the neighbors (also never had to worry about this living in a house before). Besides confining him, does anyone have any other ideas to discourage him from pottying on the carpet? I know how to train him because I have done it before. We have only been here a week. When we are downstairs and he goes to potty in the right place, I give him lots of praise and treats when he is done. But when I leave, he has accidents- usually on the main floor. Do you think he forgets to go downstairs? in our house, it was small and just one level.

Also- does anyone have experience with any carpet cleaning vacuums that you can buy? like, which ones work good? I feel bad because my roommates have gone out of their way to help me, so I would like to try and clean the carpet regularly if one of the carpet cleaners you can get at Target or Walmart work good. Please help- especially if you have experienced this where you have to re-train your dog to potty in a new place. Thanks so much!!
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!