View Single Post
Old 02-14-2009, 05:50 PM   #13
Luv My Yorkies
Donating Senior Yorkie Talker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woogie Man View Post
Did your vet x-ray the pups or just manipulate the patella? Many times, especially with the smaller Yorkies, it is just 'loose knees' at an early age and they will firm up as the pup builds strength. In your post, it seems the 12 week old pups don't have LP so maybe the younger ones will firm up. You certainly should discuss this with the breeder and make them aware of the vet's diagnosis. I would think that x-rays would be necessary to confirm the diagnosis, though. I have a 3 pound male that was diagnosed with 'loose knees' as a pup but the knees firmed up and he's now fine at 2 years old. From my (limited) experience, I think loose knees are more common in the tiny Yorkies. I would be more concerned if these are larger pups as they should have a sturdier frame. If you feel that you don't want to wait to see how they mature, you seem to be within your rights to return the pups. In any case, I wouldn't wait to let the breeder know about this as the longer you keep the pups, the more likely they might say it is due to trauma after you got the pup.
I totally agree with these comments. The same thing happen with one of my girls, she too was 12 weeks old. We were told she had patella it simply was heartbreaking. We not only went for a second opinion however the third all in the same day. Last 2 Vets said the same thing "loose knees" and today our little girl is 1.5 years old, does not show a sign of patella. So please go get another opinion just to be certain. I wish you and your babies the best.
Luv My Yorkies is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!