View Single Post
Old 02-13-2009, 09:12 PM   #47
Pettysmith
Donating Senior Yorkie Talker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladymom View Post
The 10 day quarantine only applies to dog bites. According to section 1200-14l-.30, if your dog is exposed to rabies and not vaccinated, he will probably be euthanized. A six month quarantine with a revaccination at five months or a 45 day quarantine with immediate vaccination are alternatives most likely for vaccinated animals.

Tennessee State Law Concerning Rabies

1200-14l-.30 RABIES

The definition of "dog," "cat," "owner," and "vaccination" as defined in TCA 68-8-102, shall be applicable in these regulations.

QUARANTINE GUIDELINES

I.

DOG OR CAT BITING HUMAN: 10 DAYS FROM BITE REGARDLESS IF
VACCINATED OR NOT

WILD ANIMAL BITING HUMAN: EUTHINIZE AND TEST

II. DOG OR CAT EXPOSED TO RABID ANIMAL:

A. 1ST CHOICE: EUTHANISE (Unless well Vaccinated)

B. ALTERNATIVES:

1. UNVACCINATED OR (?)

a. EUTHANISE

b. SIX MONTH QUARANTINE -STRICTLY ENFORCED

-REVACCINATE AT 5 MO.

2. VACCINATED

-REVACCINATE IMMED. 5% WILL DEVELOP IF VACCINATED

-45 DAY QUARANTINE

III. OTHER DOMESTIC ANIMALS EXPOSED TO RABID ANIMAL

A. EUTHANISE

B. SIX MONTH QUARANTINE

Thank you for posting the Tennessee laws. I have them posted in my office at the clinic and I know them well. A dog that has been exposed to a rabid animal is definitely a different story and presents a whole different set of rules. I was referring to family pets (such as our yorkies) who live in a controlled environment and will probably never be exposed to a rabid animal. I do know also, that it is very hard to prove that a dog or cat has been exposed to a rabid animal unless he/she happens to bring home a dead bat, raccoon, etc. I am not saying that any person who has been bitten by our little furbutts would ask to have them euthanized and tested. I am just saying with the laws the way they are, they do have that right.
Pettysmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!