Thread: please help
View Single Post
Old 02-12-2009, 04:43 PM   #9
Ladymom
Donating YT 2000 Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyFairLacy View Post
It might be a good idea for you to talk to the vet he's been seeing. I'm sure the vet can answer any questions and concerns you have, and explain in more detail why it's best to wait longer.

Many breeders like to keep the puppies until they are at least 2lbs. I KNOW it's so hard to wait, but if it's truly what is best for the puppy you may need to wait a little longer. It could be possible that it won't be an entire 3 months. As attached to him as you are now, you will become much more attached when you actually get him home...and just think how devestated you would be if he became very sick once you got him home. Many breeders will keep puppies longer if they are very tiny or if they feel they wouldn't do well leaving so early. 12 weeks is really the minimum that a puppy should go to its new home.

You've probably found a very responsible breeder who truly cares about her puppies. So many would just push them out the door at 8 weeks regardless of size or how they were doing. Why exactly does your breeder think it will be another 3 months?

The YTCA says that Yorkie puppies should stay with their moms until they are at least 12 weeks old. Responsible breeders keep tiny ones longer as MyFairLacy said.

Maybe your breeder has some concerns about the future health of this puppy and wants to watch him for a little longer. He's too young for a bile acids test and maybe she wants to have that done before she sells him.

If you have a good relationship with your breeder, I think you should discuss this with her so you understand her decision to keep him longer.

Last edited by Ladymom; 02-12-2009 at 04:47 PM.
Ladymom is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!