View Single Post
Old 02-11-2009, 10:30 PM   #1
iluvmister
YorkieTalk Newbie!

Star Mister's new diet for his cold

Mister is on his cold protection diet (about 2 weeks), just wanted to share this with the forum since I normally try this a few times a year, about

His daily diet:
Currently, I mix up a batch of oatmeal and uncooked wheat bran (to keep him regular). each day, since he's so fussy, i mix that about half and half with a new unsalted meat (limit protein for old dogs with kidney problems). That's very important since in his old age (16 years) he's been on the verge of liver failure (years ago), renal failure from infected teeth (about three years ago), and an enlarged heart. All of these things, i was told by the vet, were leading to his death.

Of course, my little death defying mister doggie is fine.

Diet to deal with cold and flu:
In the past two months, he was down from the flu that was in the house, so I started him on a one week course of echinacea goldenseal root and vitamin c (no longer than one week)! (about a third of a capsule once daily on his tongue)

Currently, I am continuing what will be an indefinite and safe course of vitamin c, milk thistle (keeps his little liver up) and siberian ginseng, and his regular senior citizen doggy vitamin I put about 1000 mg. vit c in a 1/4 cup dissolved, and administer one teaspoon of the tonic daily/ Because of his prior heart problems, I give him a pinch of hawthorn berry about twice a week, which is a slight diueretic. I also have been taking these herbs for years, off and on as needed....see my link for a backgrounder of how i've kept my Mister going strong all these years -- despite the vet's grave diagnosis...

http://www.yorkietalk.com/forums/yor...ied-herbs.html
iluvmister is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!