View Single Post
Old 02-11-2009, 07:50 PM   #34
Pettysmith
Donating Senior Yorkie Talker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellie May View Post
Unless your vet will write a medical waiver saying that he isn't well enough to be vaccinated for whatever reason (could just be that he reacts to vaccines and that is sufficient for a waiver), it has to be done every 2 years by law in NY. Titers aren't an acceptable replacement for rabies vaccines and if something happens and he isn't UTD, he may get fined and he may get quarantined and a rabies test may need to be done (it is done after euthanasia on brain tissue). All a waiver does is protect you from the fine... Plesae be careful about just skipping it...
Ellie is correct here. IF your dog bites someone they have the option of asking that it be quarantined and that usually has to be at a vet's office which can be very costly; or they can ask for the animal to be tested. The only way to test is by euthanasia and all that is sent in to be tested is the head (brain tissue). So, PLEASE be careful about just skipping it. Laws were made to be obeyed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladymom View Post
In New York, you are can get a waiver from your vet and skip the rabies vaccine if it could be harmful to your dog due to a medical conditon. Unfortunately, it is only a piece of paper stating that you are not in violation of the law. If your dog is exposed to rabies or bites someone, he will have to be quarantined and even risk euthanasia.
True, I have seen it happen first hand. We had a Lab at our clinic, bit an owner's child - the child was in the dogs yard and came up to the dog who was in a pen outside. The child's parent wanted the dog tested. We had to euthanize and send the head to the University to be tested. Was a bad situation for everyone.
Quote:
Originally Posted by PennysMum View Post
This made me chuckle when I read it, because it is 100% true...

At the clinic I used to work for before I moved out here, we were on the border between two states. One of the states required yearly rabies vaccinations, the other state allowed 3 year vaccinations. We would, honestly and truthfully, just draw up the same vaccine from the same vial regardless of which state the owners lived in-- the only difference was in the paperwork. It was the exact same vaccine, just the stupid law in state A required their dogs to be vaccinated three times as often as the sensible law in state B.

Your state/county laws is where the blame needs to start. Not with your veterinarian.
Pettysmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!