Thread: rabies shot
View Single Post
Old 02-11-2009, 04:00 PM   #14
Ellie May
And Rylee Finnegan
Donating Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gramsof1 View Post
Thanks for all that information. I have been doing some research but haven't found out anything significant. More reading coming up.

We did get the rabies shot becase we live close to Canada and do plan to go there and take Tiki. Proof of rabies vaccination is required to enter Canada. They want the information signed by the vet with expiration date of the vaccine used on the papers too. We have her rabies tag but the Canada rules say the piece of paper is more valid than the tag.

Also some time in the future, we may try to travel to Hawaii and stay a month. She has to have the shot to enter Hawaii too. Even the grooming salon requires proof of all shots.

Then in 2 or 3 years we are going to travel from the NW to the East Coast, hitting as many states as we can. So I imagine she will need to have the shot for that too, never knowing what we may run into.

We have eagles, raccoons, rats that somehow come up through the sewers (my neighbors have found them in their yard and we actually found on in our attic. Trap got it though. It had the most beautiful shiny beige coat.)

At any rate, Tiki does not go outside without one of us and we keep our eyes on her at all times. And it has to be outside because she refuses to do anything on the potty pad and hasn't for at least 2 years. Just can't take a chance on anything happening to her so gotta watch at all times. Not unlike we did with our other children..

Her brother just got here for a playdate. They are busy running around he house chasing each other. Mom had to have her nails done. We do sitting for each other. She will babysit Tiki and I will babysit Buddy.

Her husband made the comment that how often is it that litter mates ever get to see each other again, let alone play together all of their lives. We think it is pretty cool. And, they don't just play all of the time. We think they just like being together cuz they will each get a toy and lay down and chew on it. o cute!!!

Myrna, Proud Mom of Tiki! We love her so much!
Yup, the paper is far more important than the tag. Some vets don't even give the tags.

About Hawaii, I'm sure it's a nice place to visit but it is a rabies free state and they are very strict. She will need one or two rabies shots before going and I think she has to be flied into the capital via cargo to be processed. I could be wrong but I heard it is terribly travelling with your pup there...
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!