View Single Post
Old 02-11-2009, 01:38 PM   #2
babybuddy
Senior Yorkie Talker

I just got a 5 month old puppy in January and he was really easy to paper train. Are you using the puppy pads from the petstore that have a scent that attracts them to go there? Initially we were taking our little one outside every 2 hours, but it's so cold here that we decided to try the pads. We would look for signs that he is about to go, and watch him constantly. You will notice this when your pup starts sniffing around a lot and walking in circles. When you see this, pick up the dog, and take him/her to their desiganated spot (we put the pee pad in out bathroom) and tell them "go potty"....and just wait until they do their thing. It takes a while but they will get the hang of it. Also, we started placing several pads down to make the area larger and gradually decreased the size of the area. You just have to keep a constant watch on them for signs that they are going to go.
Another thing that I did was to put myself in the doorway of the bathroom with the door half shut on me, and just waited until Buddy went, and then lots of praise. I only had to do this once, when I realized that he would try to run away when I placed him on the pad. Now Buddy just runs into the bathroom whenever he needs to go. Needless to say that sometimes we still get the occasional accident (where he pees or poops on the floor next to the pad) but for the most part, he knows that the pad is his toilet.
Sorry for the long post, but I hope this helps. Just be patient and vigilant about the training.
babybuddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!