Thread: rabies shot
View Single Post
Old 02-11-2009, 10:02 AM   #12
LilMissy
Donating YT 1000 Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SweetViolet View Post
My youngest skinkid had terrible reactions to the normal childhood immunizations. My paediatrician gave him diluted doses...20% strength...on a monthly basis until he had the full amount necessary.

Perhaps you can do something like this for Missy? Unless she never ever goes outside, unless she will never ever have a chance of meeting a rabid squirrel, raccoon, rat or other dog, then she needs to be immunized. Rabies is fatal and the dying is prolonged and horribly painful. I would rather protect my babies from that possibility.
I asked my vet about giving Missy a smaller dose and she said that they don't do that because a small dog doesnt require less of the vaccine as a large dog. An immune system is an immune system, all sizes of dogs need the same dose.

There are only ever 10-18 cases of rabies found in bats in my entire province for the last 10 yrs. One human has died from it, and one cat. Both, were bitten by bats. The man was actually bitten by a bat and died several months later because he didn't get treatment.

Missy does not go outside AT ALL. She pees on peepads, and goes in a carrier when I take her out and about. She may go for little walks around our neighbourhood in the future, but I highly doubt we will encounter a rabid bat while doing that. I think the chances of ME getting bit by a rabid bat are higher then Missy's are. As I said though, we will see. If things change, and she's going out in the yard by herself (not likely, we do have owls, eagles etc)...or I'm taking her camping or what not, then she will get the vaccine. My vet said that it can be given at anytime, and thinks it's up to me to decide what's best for Missy.

Last edited by LilMissy; 02-11-2009 at 10:04 AM.
LilMissy is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!