View Single Post
Old 02-05-2009, 08:14 PM   #5
ndyorkiemom
Donating Senior Yorkie Talker

The sniffing thing is just a faze they all go thru and it should lessen as time goes mind you though she is always going to sniff at some times.
As for the barking, when mine start this little habit I firmly say Uh and then drop it, if they continue I repeat myself, eventually they learn to understand that barking isn't allowed in the house. Another thing you could try is a spray bottle filled with water and set to stream. When they bark say Uh once and if they continue then spay them. Don't look at them or say anything after you have sprayed them. This makes them think that everytime they bark is causes them a wet surprise.
Now for the biting you need to put your foot down on this and fast, this is usually a matter that the dam handles when they are young, but sometimes puppies are taken from the dam too young and their training never gets completed. I don't know if you have ever had the chance to watch a dam teach her puppies right from wrong but, when a puppy bites the dam to hard she will take them by the scruff of the neck and pin them to the floor or she will nip at them causing them to yelp. My sugestion would be when your little one bites or trys to mouth you in any way take her by the scruff of the neck and hold her down for about five seconds. When you do this firmly say no bite. Do not for any reason allow her to use her mouth on you or you will be defeating your lesson. Keep up the same routine everytime she tries to bite or mouth you in anyway. Your not going to hurt her because you only need enough pressure to hold her down which doesn't really take much. Just be sure that you follow thru and once she gets the hang of it be sure and use a reward system.

Join today and remove this ad!