View Single Post
Old 02-05-2009, 02:05 AM   #2
alaskayorkie
Banning Thread Dictator
Donating Member

Hmm, 10 months does seem young to have bad problems but I'm no expert.

Personally, I swear by brushing. It's best if you get them used to you putting your fingers in their mouth when they're puppies, but you should be able to condition her to tolerate it now. Start slow, without a brush or toothpaste. When your pup is relaxed, slip your finger into her mouth and try to rub her teeth with your finger. If she tolerates it, say GOOD GIRL and give her a treat.

Do that for a week, a couple times a day if possible. Then try to find a flavored toothpaste. I use Petrodex chicken flavor. My dogs like the taste. Put a little on your finger and let her lick it. Then rub some on her teeth, just like you were massaging before. Do that until she seems comfortable with it.

If you give it your best and that doesn't work, you can try something like PetzLife Oral Care spray or gel. I use that on my Lab with good results.

But I'm told you should do it every day to really make a difference whether you're brushing or using a spray or gel.

Good luck.
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!