View Single Post
Old 02-04-2009, 10:51 AM   #10
Britster
Action Jackson ♥
Donating Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellie May View Post
Yes, you could be considered "irresponsible" by rescues later on if they see that and don't have an explanation.

Dogs need 1-4 sets of distemper, parvo and hepatitis.
It depends on when they were started.
If they were started at 8 weeks, I would give another set at 12 and the last one at 16 weeks. Parainfluenza is usually included in these combos and may be hard (and not necessary) to get around. Lepto can be extremely dangerous (even fatal) to small dogs and should only be given if your dog is at very high risk (if ever). Corona, especially as they get older, isn't something I'd give. Rabies has to be given according to the law but never on the same day as another vaccine and hopefully you can wait til 6 months. Bordatella is not a core vaccine but most groomers, boarders, etc. require it. Personal choice...

It is likely that your pup reacted to the lepto but since they are more prone to reacted the second or third time lepto is given, it may not have been that. That is one problem with giving so many vaccines at once. Now nobody knows what caused the reaction. It is going to be difficult for him to go without DHP forever, so I would probably premedicate (the vet should do this) and give it but I would really reconsider the lepto.

What was the reaction last time?
Your post was excellent, thanks.

And last time, they told me it had to have been the lepto and they put it real big on his file "NO LEPTO!" But when they gave him the vaccine the first time, he wigged out like I've never seen him before! He cried for a good five minutes after the shot was given. Then I took him home, and within five-ten minutes of being in the house, he was acting very funny and then he starting vomiting. He threw up 3 or 4 times in big amounts. Then he was dry heaving and circling around and around, not walking well. I called the vet immediately and they told me to bring him back in, so I did, and they went on to give him another shot (I guess to reverse the shot?) and some Benadryl. The rest of the night he was very groggy, but he got better within 2 days.
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!