View Single Post
Old 02-04-2009, 06:55 AM   #3
jp4m2
Love my Boys
Donating Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by beth123k View Post
Hi everyone! I have been doing a lot of research and I am interested in buying a yorkie, the problem is I haven't been able to find a breeder that I am really certain about. I finally found someone on the AKC website who lives pretty close to me, the problem is the breeder does not start the puppy's shots. I have been reading a lot online and I know it is important to start between 5-7 weeks. The breeder said that the pups are ready to leave home between 8-9 weeks usually depending on how they are eating. I am just not sure what to do because I know that puppies can get really sick without their shots and I do not know if this is normal or not? Can someone help me please?! Also does anyone know of a good breeder in the Philadelphia / New Jersey area?

Thanks!
Hello and welcome to y.t!........IMO, the vaccines should not be started until after the pup is a least 12-14 weeks old. I personally like Dr, Pitcairn's schedule....

An example of a safe puppy vaccination schedule as suggested by Dr. Pitcairn is as follows:

* From 0 week to 22 weeks - keep the puppy isolated from other dogs
* First distemper - 16 weeks
* First parvo - 20 weeks
* Second distemper - 24 weeks
* Second parvo - 28 weeks
* Rabies - 32 weeks
That's it...no boosters, ever......I got this schedule from here, it has good info on vaccines......

Canine Vaccines and Vaccination | Dog Vaccination Schedule

Some people like Dr. Jean Dodds schedule ......

Vaccination Schedule Recommendations For Dogs

A pup has mom's natural immunity up until around 10-14 weeks old. It varies from pup to pup. If a vaccine is given too early it will not work, the immunity the pup has will prevent it from replicating. Therefore the pup was been exposed to a vaccine unnecessarily and it put stress on the pups immune system , which can have long term effects on the pups health. It's best to wait until you know the shot will "take". A pups immune system is not even fully developed until about 6 months old.

Sad to say a lot of breeders are clueless on the issue of vaccines. Some pups are given them way too early and some pups are given vaccines that are totally unnecessary. This is such an important part of breeding I wish more breeders would catch up with the new protocols. I don't know what the rush is on getting these vaccines in such a young pup.....

Good luck in your search for your new addition......
jp4m2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!