View Single Post
Old 02-01-2009, 10:41 PM   #9
ketters12
YT Addict

I got Tobey when he was too young but i didn't know any better at the time. he was 2 days shy of 8 weeks. we got him a small plastic crate and did the crate training- I HIGHLY recommend it. it worked like a charm. it was very hard and time consuming for several weeks but in the long run was worth all the work. At night we would set his crate on my night stand with the door facing me. that way he was literally only inches away and I think that made him feel more safe. When he did whine I would just speak in a low very calming voice and say things like "its okay, Im right here, shhh..." then I would turn my head away from him. usually the whining would stop in a few minutes. if he kept it up I would get up, take him out to his potty pad, wait for a bit and if he didn't need to potty I would take him and put him right back in the crate. I needed to send a message that you only get out of the crate if you are quiet or if you need to potty, that way if he kept whining after being put back in the crate, i knew he didn't need to potty so I did my best to just ignore him and he would eventually give up and go to sleep.

I really felt like a new mom at first and didn't sleep that well for several nights but I knew I had to be very consistent with him and that it would get better. and it did! once he was potty trained (a little under 2 months) he has never been back in that crate now he sleeps with us and hops down from the bed to go potty if he needs to in the middle of the night training him to a potty pad was the best thing I ever did.

Last edited by ketters12; 02-01-2009 at 10:42 PM.
ketters12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!